[Talk-GB] Route of old train lines - Annan Branch & Riccarton and Hexham Railway

Tony Shield tonyosm9 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 11:52:18 UTC 2021

Looking at OPNVKarte  layer  I see that these two relations are shown.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8213509#map=11/55.2055/-2.4695&layers=O

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/9220571#map=9/55.1928/-2.3985

Looking at the tagging it appears that both relations are type=route,
route=train, status=abandoned; I believe this tagging is incorrect.

Reading wiki about routes
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route and the general
principal that OSM only shows the present I think that route=train is
wrong and should be deleted.

Reading wiki about Railways https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Railways
railway=abandoned may be correct for parts of those routes - although
not for those parts which are now submerged in the Solway Firth and
Kielder Water - they are no longer visible.

I intend to delete the route=train tag from those relations, if there is
a consensus on a replacement tag I will add that.

Tony - TonyS999