[Talk-GB] UK address project update

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 08:47:00 UTC 2021

On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 at 20:49, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 Identify these locations and direct experienced OSMers to them (leaving the easy places for the new mappers we hope to attract) to add the address by ground survey.
>
> 2 Or same as 1 but instead of the experienced OSMer having to do a ground survey (as might not live locally) allow them to "pull" the green dots through into the final user interface so that local people new to OSM can collect the address. This could be done by adding these to OSM; that is adding points to OSM that just have a UPRN or similar tag at first so that they can be made available in the map editor we are working on.

I think having something that allows such missing points to be exposed
to ordinary users of the crowd-sourcing tool, via armchair mapping
(i.e. without requiring a ground survey)is really important.

I would support a variation on 2, whereby rather than just adding
nodes with a ref:GB:uprn tag to OSM, mappers are encouraged to map the
individual houses/buildings from aerial imagery and add the UPRNs to
those. That way, we would get some actual mappable objects included in
OSM (avoiding the confusion that isolated UPRN nodes could create) but
still have the necessary key to indicate an address is needed at that
point.

There would need be a decision to take as to exactly what to pull
through into the tool (e.g. do we want all buildings with a
ref:GB:uprn, or just those that are marked as house, residential,
etc., should the UPRNs and their locations be checked for errors) and
there would also need to be some server-side conflation between this
new source and the current Land Registry based data. We'd also want
some way of providing a map of locations where this sort of fill-in
mapping might be needed, so those OSM mappers interested in
contributing would know where to work. Perhaps a MapRoulette challenge
could be used for this, if the gaps in the Land Registry based data
can be roughly identifed.

Robert.