[Talk-GB] Golfing tags seem to conflict with walking tags

nathan case nathancase at outlook.com
Fri Nov 26 15:06:36 UTC 2021

For full disclosure: I use *=designated, rather than *=yes, for PRoWs and I have been quite active updating the wiki in relation to PRoWs (I created the designation=public_footpath etc pages for example) and so my edits to the documentation reflect this.

The use of foot=designated on public footpaths is twice as common as foot=yes (126,761 combinations versus 57,727). https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=designation&value=public_footpath#combinations

So when I’ve created/updated the various Wiki pages, I’ve used *=desginated in the example tagging, as it’s the most common approach and the examples fit the definition of that value.

However, although it is more popular and is the scheme I use, I do also agree with Andy. The most important part of PRoW tagging is the designation=public_footpath tag (or whatever the PRoW type is) and it isn’t necessarily wrong to use either *=designated, or *=yes. Afterall, the documentation for foot=yes (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:foot%3Dyes) even says “foot=yes is applied where the public has a legally-enshrined right for access on foot (a right of way)”.

I note the “UK examples” on the page you linked, don’t explicitly refer to them as public footpaths or public bridleways and, of course, public footpaths and bridleways only apply to England and Wales – so the examples are ambiguous at best.