[Talk-GB] Measuring the Quality of Mapping

Chris Andrew cjhandrew at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 19:26:37 UTC 2021

Hi, all.

This is probably a really stupid idea.

Thinking about the quality of OSM mapping, is it currently possible to
assess the mapping in a given area, and rate it with a score, based on
quality criteria? Just thinking that in the spirit of 'continuous
improvement' and the Deming Cycle (Plan > Do > Check > Act (repeat...)), we
could use this method to identify areas that need improving, and use this
to organise future efforts.

I guess we could use stats that may already be available, eg missing/
incorrect tags, where available, x-ref OSM data with other permissive data
sources and identify potentially missing information. I know that
Robert Whittaker has done some great work that is relevant to this
question, but having some sort of published 'league table' of good/ bad
areas, that can be understood by most people, would surely be a good thing.

I know this is a vague idea, but as they (correctly?) say, if we can't
measure it, we can't improve it.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers,

Chris