[Talk-GB] "designated" and "permissive" confuse new people

Jon Pennycook jpennycook at bcs.org.uk
Sat Oct 2 20:01:10 UTC 2021

It's true that I don't edit the wiki despite reading it, but without some
sort of accepted guidance (which can be changed if desired), we could have
a free-for-all where people do all kinds of weird things that break routing
and map display.  It's especially useful for challenging edits by
commercial editors (e.g. when one company decided that any service roads or
tracks leading to places they delivered to should be tagged
motor_vehicle=yes, thinking that "yes" meant it was physically possible to
drive a motor vehicle down there, as opposed to motor vehicles being
generally allowed).

Jon