[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project: Tourism

Cj Malone me-osm-talk-gb at keepawayfromfire.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 23:02:55 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-10-04 at 19:24 +0100, Jez Nicholson wrote:
> I went on holiday for a week just up the road from you in Bembridge

Seems to have hade a few mappers this year. I hope you all enjoyed your
holidays here.

> and did some mapping there.....does that count as tourism? :)

Sure, why not? :P

> This won't be news to you, but what I did find is that Bembridge (and
> the
> rest of the Isle of Wight?) has a lot of houses with just house
> names.

It's the posher areas on the Isle of Wight, actually I think that's the
same across the country.

> Street Complete was fine for collecting them, but you definitely need
> individual buildings to be mapped in advance. Mapped, and split into
> individual dwellings with help from the OSMUK Cadastral Parcels.

Defiantly, it can be annoying but workable when one OSM building
actually turns out to be 2 semidetached houses with numbers on a
survey. But it they have names it becomes really slow to document it.

Pre mapping is pretty vital for address surveys. At the moment.

On Mon, 2021-10-04 at 22:09 +0100, Ken Kilfedder wrote:
> Amazing, I too was on the Isle of Wight, and amongst other
> bits-and-bobs, added the unit numbers to the holiday park that is
> equidistant from CJ and Jez's contributions!
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/390091752

Looks good! I have a soft spot for this kind of micro mapping, in fact
I'd love to work with them to get OSM embedded on there websites, it so
clearly useful to there customers.

I've started to realise that tourism=caravan_site is the wrong tag for
these places, since they don't actually allow people to bring there own
caravans. Potentially they should be tourism=chalet or leisure=resort,
but I'm not sure which.

Cj