[Talk-GB] Wales Mapathon

Rupert Allan mail at rupertallan.com
Wed Oct 20 10:24:05 UTC 2021

Dear All,

We are planning to have a meeting/mapping session as CJ has mentioned, this
Thursday (tomorrow).

Thanks to some good feedback, I'm scheduling for a* change to 6.30pm*, to
enable better participation/inclusion. We shall discuss peoples'
preferences for weekly meet-ups amongst the attendees.

As CJ mentioned, all are welcome.

Here are the links to the tasks and the Video Call meeting:
https://tasks.hotosm.org/explore/?team=127
https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/cj--apo-frj-kfo

Thanks and best wishes,

Rupert

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 11:52 AM Rupert Allan <mail at rupertallan.com> wrote:

> Hi Philip (trig point)
>
> Thanks for taking an interest, and good point. It's a great place,
> Merthyr. The home of Democratic community movements, in some ways.
>
> Do you think 5 or 5.30 might be a better time? Happy to fit in with other
> schedules. It's not too late to readjust.
>
> Best,
>
> Rupert
>

> UK: +44 (0)7970 540 647
> Skype: Reuben Molotov
>

> On Tue, 19 Oct 2021, 07:31 Philip Barnes, <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> I am very interested in Merthyr, it is an area I know well.
>>
>> Its where my parents grew up and I spent many a long summer holiday
>> roaming the mountains with my cousin. He is still there, and, like me,
>> approaching retirement but we have not made it yet.
>>
>> I continued visiting my grandmother regularly when she was alive.
>>
>> OSM in the UK is a hobby for the vast majority of the community which
>> makes holding a meetting when the majority of the community are at work,
>> school or university seem not very inclusive.
>>
>> Phil (trigpoint)
>>
>> On Monday, 18 October 2021, Cj Malone wrote:
>> > Hello everyone,
>> >
>> > As some of you remember Rupert [1] is interested in OSM use within the
>> > NHS. There are 2 main goals, improve OSM data (and access to it) and
>> > build a local community/involve other communities in South
>> > Wales/Merthyr Tydfil.
>> >
>> > We'll be doing a call on regular Thursdays at 16:00, Rupert will be
>> > talking about the project, and we can start some remote mapping. This
>> > is still a proof of concept on his part, but he is particularly
>> > interested in housing stock and wellbeing data (Parks, cycle
>> > infrastructure, health sites, etc). Since there was a bit of an issue
>> > with Micron on the previous Tasking Manager tasks the current ones are
>> > invite only. It'll be pretty open to anyone to join, as long as you
>> > know how to map buildings with the correct level of detail, and
>> > understand the goals of the project.
>> >
>> > We don't want a few of us to quickly map the area, building a local
>> > community is a key part of this. Hopefully we will be able to train
>> > local people and get them involved with OSM. Not just the local
>> > surveying side of the project, but also part of the "remote" mapping.
>> >
>> > If anyone is local to South Wales, or knows someone who is, please join
>> > the call and/or contact Rupert.
>> >
>> > It'll be on OSMFs Big Blue Button. No account is required. All are
>> > welcome. [3]
>> >
>> > Cj
>> >
>> > [1] Rupert Allan <mail at rupertallan.com>
>> > [2] https://tasks.hotosm.org/explore/?team=127
>> > [3] https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/cj--apo-frj-kfo

>> --
>> Sent from my Sailfish device

Rupert Allan:

Spatial Intervention Design, Research

In Print:  'Motorcycle-Mapping: Modalities of United Statelessness' in
*Mapping Crisis: Participation, Datafication and Humanitarianism in
the Age of Digital Mapping*
<https://www.sas.ac.uk/publications/mapping-crisis> (University of
London/Chicago Press, Human Rights Consortium
<https://www.sas.ac.uk/projects-and-initiatives/human-rights-consortium>)

UK: +44 (0)7970 540 647
Skype: Reuben Molotov
MARINE CALL SIGN: 24VN3 <https://www.facebook.com/rupertanddorry/>

FRGS, Missing Maps/HOT OSM Voting Member
web <http://rupertallan.com> | twitter
<https://twitter.com/rupert_allan> | instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/rupert_allan/> | linkedin
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/rupert-allan-03840a4/> | imdb