[Talk-GB] Mapping of Kielder Forest(s)

Tom Crocker tomcrockermail at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 21:19:27 UTC 2021

Hi

On Thu, 2 Sep 2021, 14:24 Andy Townsend, <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/09/2021 20:34, Tom Crocker wrote:
> >
> > Andy, thanks for the suggestion of landuse=forestry for the bigger
> > area. I'm convinced but I imagine until carto, osmand, etc can at
> > least render the name Russ isn't going to want to use this, and using
> > landuse=forest will blot out all of the gaps and cause confusion I guess.
>
> I did add support for landuse=forestry to the map style that I look
> after, <snip> landuse=forest is treated the same way, and names on either
> of those (or

natural=wood) are rendered.

And I like it.

OSM Carto won't ever support it

Fair enough. You'll have a much better idea of this than me.

 You
> can point OsmAnd at any tiles you want, so at least when online that's
> not an issue.

Yes, and I'm grateful to be able to point at your tiles as I do. But many
won't and I suspect the better we cater for people who haven't heard of
openstreetmap the more we'll build our pool of editors.

> Perhaps a halfway house would be landuse=forest and introduce cutlines
> > between the gaps... Render the name and the cutlines and be ready to
> > switch to landuse=forestry if/when the time comes, but it's more work
> > and objects.
>
> While mapping cutlines where they exist is a perfectly good idea, lots
> of stands of trees (at least in Yorkshire) are separated by more than a
> simple cutline.  Mapping "where there are currently trees" and "where
> there is a managed forest" separately makes sense to me (and to my eyes
> is much less like "micromapping" than mapping detail like house numbers
> etc.!).

Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear and think we're broadly agreeing
(although it's fine if I've misunderstood and people still think it's a bad
idea!). I was suggesting mapping where there are currently trees, where
there's managed forest, but also where there's cutlines. So, specifically
in Kielder, I would change the existing landuse=forest areas to
natural=wood. Add named areas of forest with landuse=forest but also add
cutlines between the natural=wood areas when there's a narrow, relatively
consistent gap - there's quite a lot of these in Kielder. Add areas of
grass, heath, wetland, etc elsewhere (James, I don't know if you're aware
of JOSM's balloon tool which makes this pretty easy?).

James Derrick wrote:

Sketching an arboreal equivalent...
>         natural=tree    (specimens only - unless _really_ keen!)
>         landuse=forest  (possibly include natural=wood?)
>                         (manmade=cutline if unmapped and linear?)
>         landuse=forestry

Personally I would use natural=wood regardless of it being kind-of man-made
as it's explicitly about trees (just like it's only natural=tree,cliff...).
Then, while I'd like to use landuse=forestry as an explicit "managed area
that may or may not have trees", I was thinking use landuse=forest for now
so it works for most current consumers.

Best regards

Tom