[Talk-GB] Tagging historic surface mining/streamworks

Tom Crocker tomcrockermail at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 21:37:38 UTC 2021

On Wed, 1 Sep 2021, 20:46 ael, <witwall3 at disroot.org> wrote:

> <snip>
> As for lifecycle, I would feel more comfortable with a simple
> abandoned:landuse=surface_mining. But that seems very close
> to my current choice of historic=surface_mining.
>
> I can see the logic of calling these things mines with a subtag
> to clarify. Actually we don't know that all of them were
> streamwork although it seems extremely likely.
> But I find the connotations of "mine" unintuitive here, although
> I did something similar at one point.

I was just trying to see what could be done with the approved tags. I'd
prefer it if that was landuse=mining as that's a use while mine is a thing.
Also, it's worth noting that the wiki page for that and landuse=quarry seem
to suggest they are not the British-English uses of the term and quarry is
any open-cast mining - I wonder if this is part of the problem that
resulted in the retagging?

If you did come up with a new tag, it might be worth considering whether
hushes would fall under it, as they seem quite similar to my mind and are
the thing I'm more familiar with from the North East (but also having never
heard of a streamwork before - perhaps they're very different). Some also
fell foul of the edit. I also wondered if you could map out some of the
features like earth banks or gullies that it looks are at Gonamena and
whether that would go some way toward what you're trying to achieve?

Best regards

Tom