[Talk-GB] Mapping of Kielder Forest(s)

James Derrick lists at jamesderrick.org
Fri Sep 3 16:26:36 UTC 2021

Hi Tom,

On 02/09/2021 22:19, Tom Crocker wrote:
> So, specifically in Kielder, I would change the existing
> landuse=forest areas to natural=wood. Add named areas of forest with
> landuse=forest but also add cutlines between the natural=wood areas
> when there's a narrow, relatively consistent gap - there's quite a lot
> of these in Kielder.
After older debates, the tagging practice has been Approach 3 as in
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Forest

This distinguishes natural=wood from landuse=forest in a similar way to
wild animals and cattle (analogy mugged from IT sysadmin VMs).

Most of Kielder consists of dense blocks of mechanically planted lines
of leaf_type=needleleaved managed for agri-business, so are (almost) all
tagged as landuse=forest.

After re-reading the expanded wiki, managed=yes, operator='Forestry
England' might be useful additions, as well as the ongoing suggestion to
add extra landuse=forestry to encompass multiple areas of
landuse=forest, or relations.

I'd suggest reserving natural=wood for the Kielder areas (typically
around visitor sight lines) with 'natural' broad leaf species which
aren't cut for profit.

> Add areas of grass, heath, wetland, etc elsewhere (James, I don't know
> if you're aware of JOSM's balloon tool which makes this pretty easy?).

That process was started, but there's a lot of Kielder...

A JOSM balloon tool is news to me, but after some poking around, do you
mean the plug-in ShrinkWrap perhaps?

     https://github.com/ubipo/shrinkwrap

Ooh! Shiny! Thanks! :-)

Much of Kielder isn't bounded so might need some tweaks, but Shinkwrap
looks exceptionally useful for general landcover - add boundary
barrier=*, then click to generate an internal landuse=* without having
to manually trace the area with Follow.

Signing off now to try a new toy...

James
--