[Talk-GB] non-attributed map

ndrw6 ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk
Sun Sep 5 12:45:58 UTC 2021

There are two problems with these guidelines:
- They have no value in court. They are just an interpretation of the
license by OSMF. There is nothing preventing e.g. Amazon from writing
their own guidelines on how their employees should interpret the
license. As long as they don't conflict with it, neither would be more
correct than the other.
- They don't represent opinions of all contributors. There is
(currently) a specific process for changing the license described in the
contributor terms and it doesn't mention any guidelines:

"OSMF agrees that it may only use or sub-license Your Contents as part
of a database and only under the terms of one or more of the following
licences: ODbL 1.0 for the database and DbCL 1.0 for the individual
contents of the database; CC-BY-SA 2.0; or such other free and open
licence (for example, http://www.opendefinition.org/okd/) as may from
time to time be chosen by a vote of the OSMF membership and approved by
at least a 2/3 majority vote of active contributors."

The part where guidelines are useful is in finding a consensus. OSMF
promises (I don't think this is actually spelled out in the document but
it can be inferred from it) that they will not sue anyone for ODbL
infringement if the user complies with the guidelines. Similarly, OSMF
is free to distinguish between good and bad members of community
restricting or awarding them with certain perks. These soft benefits are
quite valuable and many users will be happy to comply with the
guidelines but these should not be mistaken for the database license.

Back to the original topic. The correct solution would be to approach
CyclingUK and *ask* them to include attribution, while providing them
with guidelines as OSMF recommendations. If they disagree it is between
them and OSMF to resolve it.

ndrw6