[Talk-GB] [talk-gb] GRO places of worship register

Edward Bainton bainton.ete at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 21:38:20 UTC 2021

Hi all

There's a suggestion on Loomio that places of worship might be the Q4
project.

Regardless (pubs look to be more popular*) I thought I'd have a closer look
at the GRO list of registered places of worship, since this is a special
interest of mine.
https://data.gov.uk/dataset/143fdbae-daae-45b1-b970-061dcaaf109f/places-of-worship

The register is a complete mess (some entries date from 1855), with no
consistency between fields. I'm trying to clean it up by concatenating the
address fields, then trying to extract from that string tentative values
for addr:postcode, addr:housenumber, and addr:street.

Is there a list of all notable named places in the UK, and which aren't
necessarily posttowns, city corporations, etc? (or could Overpass supply
one?) That would be some way to identify addr:city or to rule out a value
as probably not part of the road name but rather the locality where the
place is found.

Eg, a cell might be Small Heath
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/111847715#map=13/52.4681/-1.8514> just
as likely as Birmingham; Ailsworth
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1608496> just as likely as
Peterborough. I want to be able to set Excel/Calc to say "this cell value
is found in that list of known localities".

Ofc people might have other ideas about how I should be going about this:
work so far is in Dropbox here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/go3xnvm27qaqjm0/Peterborough%20PlacesOfWorship_July_2021.ods?dl=0>
if anyone wants to take a look. I've cut it down to just Peterborough while
I build the spreadsheet, bc there's something like 30,000 entries in the
whole list.

Thanks,

Edward

*O tempora, o mores