[Talk-GB] Electric kick scooters- Was: External data on bike rental locations

Steven Hirschorn steven.hirschorn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 15:44:54 UTC 2021

> Wiki has "amenity=kick-scooter_rental" (note mixed punctuation):
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dkick-scooter_rental

That's a really horrible mix of hyphens and underscores to create a long
term that isn't very commonly used in the UK (at least).  And there's only
114 of them.
I thought eBike and eScooter were well used terms. There's nothing to map
for ebike_rentals though as there are no preferred locations that I'm aware
of. When Mobike existed locally, renting pushbikes, they theoretically had
preferred locations, but you could (and most people did) leave them
anywhere! They depend on an app to find the scooters/bikes so a designated
return point isn't needed unless an authority requires it.

nb. "unlike the dockless bikes and ebikes" - in the City at least, dockless
> schemes are required to use designated return locations. I'm aware it's a
> bit sui generis, but I'd expect other LAs to have at least an aspiration to
> the same policy?

Only for eScooters. The eBikes are still left wherever people end their
journeys, though the rental companies have introduced a "snap a photo of
your parking" to determine if people are parking them antisocially!