[Talk-GB] Tagging a shop that is both a branded shop and a Post Office

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 01:18:55 UTC 2021

This is a very recent innovation: the standard approach in the UK has
always been amenity=post_office and shop=* (more or less exactly why
different keys are used). I see no advantage in this somewhat more obscure
approach, which was apparently adopted with no knowledge that the situation
had been tagged perfectly adequately since the early days of OSM.

I vaguely recall that some of the post_partner use cases are not analagous
to the sub post office. Also, at least in Switzerland, post offices located
in shops are very recent compared with the UK (I can't recall any 15 years
ago).

In larger shops, as others have said the post office can be mapped
separately. However, if one does not have the time to check inside, the two
tags on a single node or way is still appropriate (WH Smith in Chester is
one I mapped this way).

In terms of iD this means entering the tags directly, and will create some
notional ambiguity with respect to use if brand tags. However, this latter
situation is encountered elsewhere (Burtons/Dorothy Perkins; Top Shop/Top
Man, various iterations of Dixons Stores Group plc fascias etc.) In the
past Bryan and other iD maintainers have stated that design goals have been
simplicity and ease of use for inexperienced users and have therefore not
felt the need to handle this type of situation. However, in an unmapped
area post offices are likely to be amongst the first POIs to be mapped.

BTW: my local sub-post office has always had a single counter, divided in
two with separate tills (the post office side takes cards, the convenience
store side doesn't). Most of the time there is only one person serving.
When I was a child, and when post offices were thicker on the ground, this
latter aspect was pretty much the norm. The counters were perhaps more
distinct, and cage like: the cash aspect of post offices always represents
a security problem, and on days when people collected pension or family
allowance more so. This surely also required more than one person at these
busy times, particularly as the shop side probably sold sweets by weight as
well.

Jerry