[Talk-GB] Tagging a shop that is both a branded shop and a Post Office

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 11:16:06 UTC 2021

On Mon, 13 Sept 2021 at 22:36, Martin Wynne <martin at 85a.uk> wrote:

> On 13/09/2021 21:51, Mark Goodge wrote:
>
> > This must, surely, be a fairly common occurrence for sub-Post Offices.
> > How is this sort of situation normally tagged?
>
> According to the wiki, this situation is covered as
>
> name=Spar
> post_office=post_partner
>
>   https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dpost_office

I don't think the "Post Partner" situation described there really
matches the set-up we have with the Post Office in the UK. (In terms
of what we have in the UK, I think it would be more for shops that act
as e.g. DHL or Hermes agents.) I'd therefore recommend continuing to
use amenity=post_office to tag all Post Office branches in the UK. For
post offices that are part of a shop, this can either be a separate
node within a larger store or on the same object as the shop. The
former is probably more appropriate for larger shops with a post
office counter that acts like a concession. The latter is perhaps
better for smaller shops that are more fully built around the post
office services.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker