[Talk-GB] OSM Road Classification - Trunk/Primary

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Sep 15 13:14:00 UTC 2021

Barry McGuire wrote:
> The proposed change would make UK OSM consistent with the
> global OSM terminology

Wrong.

There is no single global standard for highway=trunk in OSM. For cycle.travel, I have to have distinct routing rules for highway=trunk for (off the top of my head) Spain, Romania, the UK, France, Greece, Australia, the Scandinavian countries, and even different states within the US. You can't "make something consistent" with something that isn't consistent in the first place. The UK is towards one end of the trunk continuum in OSM but it is by no means an outlier.

The UK has had settled road classifications in OSM for over a decade now. Your attempt to change this because you seemingly know better than the n,000 OSM mappers who have gone before is misguided in the extreme. And your attempts to alter data before any discussion has even concluded (e.g. osm.org/changeset/110881337), breaking countless downstream apps, are essentially vandalism.

Richard