[Talk-GB] Swales

Andy Robinson ajrlists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 08:36:10 UTC 2021

How are folks mapping Swales?, that is manmade sustainable drainage channels
that you typically find on new developments to enable water runoff to drain
into the ground but usually with an overflow pipe system to enable water to
go safely elsewhere in times of very heavy rain. A local housing estate in
our village has a plethora of them and I had originally tagged them as
natural=water, water=swale though in reality when they were first dug they
had no water in them most of the time. Having walked around them yesterday I
realise that have all be planted/colonised as reed beds so they might
arguably be closer to a natural=wetland and wetland=reedbed, and I have
changed tags to suite. However there are of course man made scrapes in the
ground rather than natural and the tagging doesn't reflect that they are
swales, though I've added note=swale for now.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/678368410

I note that on the wiki, water=swale redirects to waterway=ditch

Cheers

Andy