[Talk-GB] Meta/Facebook #ProfanityCleanup

Robert Skedgell rob at hubris.org.uk
Wed Jan 11 10:02:50 UTC 2023

I've noticed a couple of edits from Meta users in Colorado to clean up
imagined profanity.

In the first case the change from Dyke -> Dike corrected a genuine typo.
However, we have 410 objects in OS Open Names where the spelling is Dyke
compared to only 150 Dike. I'm concerned that others may be changed
without any local knowledge or adequate checking against OS Open Data
sources.

In the second case, Pussy Lane in Shelley, West Yorkshire was renamed to
that of an adjacent street without any strong evidence to support that
change. OS 25 inch maps from 1892-1914 show that Pussy Lane existed
before Westerley Lane was built.
https://osmcha.org/changesets/127841222/
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18.0&lat=53.59838&lon=-1.69402&layers=168&right=osm

It's one thing for Zuck's minions to fix real vandalism involving actual
expletives, but quite another for prudes to inflict alien and culturally
insensitive values on the UK.