[Talk-gh] OSM in Ghana, Way forward

Bjoern Hassler bjohas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 07:08:15 UTC 2016

Hi Alert, hi Sylvester, hi Enock, hi all,

Good to read your posts. About me: I am in Ghana part time, to support the
www.t-tel.org programme. T-TEL is a government of Ghana programme that
supports the 40 GoG Colleges of Education, with some 1,800 tutors and 40k+
students. My role is to support professional development of those tutors,
to improve education outcomes for student teachers, and ultimately for
pupils. Our outputs are Open Educational Resources under CC BY-SA, see
http://oer.t-tel.org

It could be interesting to do something aimed at tutors, to support them in
teaching their education students. The student teachers will teach in
primary and JHS, but there is still scope for mapping. If you're interested
in SHS, I've also got some contact with the science centres that work with
SHSs.

More generally, "mapping in education" would be a good area in my opinion.

Maybe we could collaborate on creating some documentation in the first
place, perhaps on the OSM wiki? For example (despite good technology
background) I struggled in finding the right tags, and building the right
relationships between objects. It would be good to e.g. have a guide called
"mapping your school", that explained what nodes/ways/relationships to use.
Ideally this would use a range of editors (online, tablet based, desktop
based).

Another guide that would be useful is "creating printable maps". For
example I tried to create a map of the 40 colleges. The best option seemed
to be overpass, but export is limited to png. Of course e.g. Field papers
can produce an atlas, by not sure about configuration options. In my view
it would be desirable to have a guide that shows how
teachers/tutors/lectures can easily produce printable maps, configured to
show elements relevant to the lesson taught, such as environmental features
(e.g. rivers and wetlands) vs. political features (e.g. districts) vs.
infrastructure (e.g. power stations and power lines)... It's not clear to
me how to do that (if indeed it's possible), and at least a clear tutorial
is needed.

Once we have this, we could trial the documentation in education
institutions, and work with teachers/tutors/lectures on "lesson ideas",
that can be written down and used to engage more teachers/tutors/lectures.

I'd be very happy to contribute to writing/testing and the education side
in general. It would be good to have some people with in-depth OSM
experience on board too, so we can recommend the right tools.

All the best,
Bjoern