[Talk-gh] OSM in Ghana, Way forward

Sylvester Adjapong adjapongs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 09:41:54 UTC 2016

Great, we dont need to start from scratch i believe. I have good knowledge
in developing workbook and step by step program outline but i also believe
there are enough resources outside that we just need to adapt to the
settings in Ghana. Would be in Accra tonight and i can meet with any of you
on Saturday or Sunday or we can all agree and schedule a Skype meeting so
we all dialogue and share ideas.

I believe we need to engage more and start somewhere. Field papers are off
great help. For the street naming exercise i was part in Ghana, we didnt
use field papers cause most of the places where not mapped out and we had
satellite images :) available so we just grid them out and print for our
field work.

We need more of mapathons to guide the younger ones and its the most
convenient way to learn mapping as you get to interact with the tutors or
mappers available

Cheers,
Sylvester

*SYLVESTER ADJAPONG © 2016*

*"That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power
of God"  - 1 Corinthians 2:5 KJV*
<https://www.facebook.com/NANAsilky.jnr>
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/sylvester-adjapong-287422a2?trk=hp-identity-name>
  <http://instagram.com/sylvesteradjapong>

On 23 June 2016 at 21:30, Alert Bouterse <alert at bouterse.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Silvester, thanks for your enthusiasm. Meeting wil be a bit difficult,
>> cause I am living in the Netherlands, but we can "meet" on this medium.
>> Greetings,
>> Alert
>> Op 22 jun. 2016 20:13 schreef "Sylvester Adjapong" <adjapongs at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Wow , this is interesting, just last year as i sat with Enoch to draft a
>> proposal on mapping in education.
>>
>> We can meet and have in-depth discussion on this but hey! guys, you can
>> read what we put down a year ago so we can get the conversation started.
>>
>> Ideas worth sharing......Thanks
>>
>> Sample of drafted proposal______________________
>>
>> The School Mapping Project, Ghana (SMP, GH)  is a non-profit initiative
>> co-founded and started by Sylvester Adjapong (Founder, MapOut Ghana) and
>> Enock Seth Nyamador (Openstreetmap Lead, Ghana). It is a project-based,
>> service-learning oriented program that provides students with skills and
>> technical know-how on the importance of mapping and how to contribute to
>> mapping their schools and environment using OpenStreetMap (OSM) and other
>> open source softwares to help contribute to the development of open data
>> and their  communities and country at large.
>>
>> At its heart, SMP, Ghana is a coordinated effort with Code for Ghana to
>> provide today’s students with a fun-packed educational atmosphere that
>> allows them to gain insight into their own abilities to acquire and use
>> mapping information, solve problems and develop valuable experience from
>> mapping and learning about Geographic Information Systems (GIS) using
>> OpenStreetMap (OSM).
>>
>> Our goal is to reach out to 100 schools in the 10 regions of Ghana by the
>> end of 2016 and as such your school has been selected based on our
>> selection criteria.
>> This is just a sample of what we wrote for the proposal to send to
>> schools!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Sylvester
>>

>> *SYLVESTER ADJAPONG © 2016*
>>
>> *"That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power
>> of God"  - 1 Corinthians 2:5 KJV*
>> <https://www.facebook.com/NANAsilky.jnr>
>> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/sylvester-adjapong-287422a2?trk=hp-identity-name>
>>   <http://instagram.com/sylvesteradjapong>
>>

>> On 22 June 2016 at 16:56, Alert Bouterse <alert at bouterse.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I love is when all things comes together 😉
>>> Thanks Bjoern for your reply and your offer to use your network,
>>> knowledge and scales.
>>> My knowledge of  editing maps is not too deep yet, more basic. But the
>>> reason why I was thinking about SHS, is the sometimes complexity of editing
>>> the details. I have not even found a good leaning book about making OSM
>>> maps. also courses are difficult to find. But maybe the JHS can start with
>>> simple things as making the streets, giving the streets a name and placing
>>> landmarks. With a educational paper / workbook, I think it should be
>>> possible. than SHS schools can maybe dig deeper, like nodes, buildings,