[Talk-gh] OSM in Ghana, Way forward

Bjoern Hassler bjohas at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 10:26:12 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Great suggestions and yes, it would be good to drawn on as much existing
material as possible.

Maybe we should consider who the audience(s) might be, where OSM Ghana
wants to focus effort?

*Educational activities with:*
A1. Primary school *pupils*
A2. JHS *pupils*
A3. SHS *students*

These would be morning (school time), or afternoon or maybe weekend
activities, directly with children in those schools. It would be a "science
fair" model / "enrichment model", where an external organisation (OSM)
organises something within a GoG institution (a school). This could also be
done for:

A4. College *students* (e.g. in education, but also health, etc)
A5. University *students* (geographical disciplines, health, education,
science, etc.)

*Professional Development (PD) activities:*
The latter are bordering on professional development activities, so let's
consider those next, first in education:
B1. PD activities for education professionals: University (e.g. *lecturers*
in geographical disciplines, health, education, science, etc)
B2. PD activities for education professionals: Colleges of Education
(e.g. *tutors
*in education, tutors in health)
B3. PD activities for education professionals: *Teachers* (in-service)
B4. PD activities for education professionals: Facilitators/NGOs working
with teachers or colleges

An important question is whether you would prefer o work with
pupils/students (A) or with educators (B). The PD activities for educators
(B) have the advantage that whatever you do might scale better, and reach
many more teachers/students/pupils. However, it has the disadvantage of
what's called "dilution" - you don't know how well it's going to be
implemented, so it needs very careful planning.

Moving away from them education field:
C1. PD activities for other professionals tha tmight use mapping (e.g.
people working in health, people working for NGOs), etc.
C2. Activities for the general public (out of interest)

These could all be seen as "outreach" activities: OSM Ghana interacting
with other professionals. Looking even more broadly, one might look at how
these are balanced with other activities of OSM Ghana, such as
- recruiting people to contribute to OSM Ghana as an organisation.
Especially A4/A5 and perhaps C1/C2 could be very useful in that regard;
- working with government and non-governmental organisations to promote the
release of data.

Anyway - the list isn't exhaustive, and perhaps you've already had much of
this wider discussion! Some concrete ideas:

With A3/SHS (SMP, GH), it could be good to partner with other
organisations, and I have contacts with the science centres, and
http://www.ghanacodeclub.org/. You also mentioned "Code for Ghana" - do you
have a link? I'd also suggest that we should find some teachers, so that we
can start by trialling some ideas with them. It's really important to have
teachers on board.

I do also think that working at University/College level (A4/A5) could be
very interesting, especially as it may help to build OSM Ghana as an
organisations.

Finally, for working in school, curriculum alignment is a good thing, so we
could have a look through the primary / JHS / SHS / College curriculum to
see where topics could be drawn upon. As a super-tiny example, we made
reference to mapping / field papers on p. 116 in one of our PD guides for
tutors:
http://www.t-tel.org/files/images/Publications%20section/T3%20Talk%20for%20Learning%20-%20PD%20Guide%20for%20Tutors%20-%20v1.01.pdf

There's a picture from field papers, and the text says:

*Maps and Scales (Social Sciences - FDC 118)*
*Write down ‘Three Things We Know, Three Things We Do not Know’ about map
reading.*
*Reference: 2014 DBE Introduction to Foundations of Social Studies, FDC
118, Unit 5, p. 289.*

Shall we start a wiki page to record some ideas?
Bjoern

(Not in Ghana at the moment, but should be around fairly soon.)