[Talk-gh] MapRoulette challenges for fixing road issues in Ghana

Andrew Wiseman andrew_wiseman at apple.com
Fri Aug 28 18:31:33 UTC 2020

Hello all,

This is Andrew from the Apple Maps team. We recently used our Atlas data analysis tool to look at a few types of potential issues related to roads and routing in Ghana.

I've posted the results of those checks on MapRoulette, a tool that lets you go through potential issues one by one and either correct them or indicate they are not a problem.

The challenges are in this project, including things like overlapping roads, roads that aren't connected to other roads, roads that cross without a connection, and similar issues: https://maproulette.org/browse/projects/40669

I wanted to let you know they are available in case others wanted to try fixing some of them — I also plan to go through some of them myself. The challenges might also surface other issues too, like missing roads.

In MapRoulette you can either pick a random task to fix or click on a specific one. If you want to do tasks around a certain location, such as somewhere you are familiar with, you can click on one from the map view, and then click Next task: Nearby when you finish it.

These challenges are in addition to the street names I posted about in 2017: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gh/2017-October/000165.html

If you’d like to learn more about the Atlas tool, it is https://github.com/osmlab/atlas <https://github.com/osmlab/atlas>

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Thanks!
Andrew

Andrew Wiseman |  Maps | iPhone: +1.202.270.4464 | andrew_wiseman at apple.com <mailto:andrew_wiseman at apple.com>