[Talk-gh] Some YouthMappers organised mapping activities in Ghana; more work for the few ?

Enock Seth Nyamador open at enockseth.co
Mon Jun 27 21:51:05 UTC 2022

Hi,

It is great and nice to see OpenStreetMap community in Ghana growing
over the years, especially among students thanks to the YouthMappers
associations.

We all make mistakes and OSM itself is very forgiving in most cases but
some of these mistakes I believe can and should be avoided.

The issue is that only few people are doing the *dirty* job of cleaning
and fixing things; it takes time.

I am not aware of any data source in country that can be compared to
what we have in OSM (please share), thanks to so many hardworking and
dedicated volunteers over the years.

Having been around OSM in Ghana for sometime, some of us have seen
local/remote issues from both individuals and corporate *organised
mapping activities* that we believe should not happen.

In this mail, I echo briefly those from some YouthMappers mapping
activities, over the years myself and other volunteers have tried to
fix/clean issues from YouthMappers organised activities and still
cleaning, also drawing attention of individual mappers and association
leaders on Good practices[1], use of real changeset comments that are
not only ###hashtags that does not describe which change have been made,
knowing well that time spent complaining could be used to fix/help
mappers responsible instead but not many have resulted in much change.

In order for us to have the map, mappers, data and community we desire
to make a better OpenStreetMap in Ghana, we all need to treat this only
OSM with much care whilst learning from each other too. There are some
recent questionable contributions around[2] and others that have
motivated this mail (Please don't try to delete them//now/, /these
recent ones might lead to more issues)

PS: Confidence in cc, as the YouthMappers regional ambassador in
Ghana[1], I humbly request you can communicate this better to all
YouthMappers associations and that we all should follow good practices.

1. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_practice
2. https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/6.3296/-0.5809
3. https://www.youthmappers.org/regional-ambassadors

--