[Talk-ht] Onboarding new mappers

infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr
Fri Feb 12 17:59:39 GMT 2010

I am new to Openstreetmap. I came
three weeks ago to help for Haiti. I didn't pas thru Edit camps and learned by
myself. I've edited almost everyday since : refugee camps, hospital tags,
rivers.

Even if I have a lot of experience with computers, I
find that theres a steep learning slope with learning how to edit and
communicate with other users.  And I don't have answers to all my
interrogations.

I can modify tags or trace a way. Im am not sure yet if
y connect to ways of a same river properly.

I can communicate, but not sure yet of doing everything
things properly. I have edited some wiki pages, but not sure how to identify
myself. The member guggis told me to add four ~~~~~ and test with the sandbox
page. I edited the sandbox page and since then only my name appears on that
page. These type of things don't give you to much confidence that you can
communicate in the wiki without erasing everything.

Also, from one wiki page project to the other, ways of
communicating are different. When we work on a project (by exemple rivers),
should we indicate it in the wiki page of the project or instead send a mail to
the talk-ht?

On the page WikiProject Haiti/Tasks and
Ideas/RiverLabeling, it is often said need link
to the OSM object. What this
means?  And from the successive ways composing a river, those a hierarchy object
have to be created. If so, How?

I still prefer Potlach to JOSM.  I can modifiy tags in
both. But, In Potlach, I find ways more easier and navigate more easily. But I
progress.

And as it as been suggested by many from the Haiti
experience, some kind of general tutorial for new collaborators covering the
different aspects of editing and communicating would be welcome.

Pierre Béland