[Talk-ht] waterway=stream + vehicle=yes?

Hans van Wijk hvwijk at wxs.nl
Sun Feb 14 13:21:16 GMT 2010

Michael Buege wrote

> Zitat Hans van Wijk:
>
> > Can we do this on a waterway?
>
> In Haiti there seem to be a couple of river beds also used as
> roads. Jan Tappenbeck and I talked about this issue last
> week, without a solution how to handle this. We have found
> some places with vehicle traces in riverbeds but we quite not
> sure about that, because our impressions are based on air
> imagery sources taken during the dry season, i guess.

I found this page (http://countrystudies.us/haiti/19.htm) on haitian climate
and according to that we're in transition from dry to wet season. (the
paragraph before the last one.)

> Would be good, to hear more about this fact from somebody who have
> better knowledge of the Haitian driving habits.

Yes, I found more situations on the imagery that would benefit from someone
who's been there, but the car in the riverbed on the image made it pretty
believable that cars actually do drive there, didn't it?

> > Will it be understood by the Garmins in the field?
>
> Probably not. But this shouldn't stop us from tagging this,
> if we agree to do so.
>
> > waterway=stream
> > vehicle=yes
>
> How about the good old "highway=ford"?
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dford>
> Maybe even this is comprehensible for Garmin units.

I used highway=ford lots of times, but together with a single
waterway=stream with no riverbanks? Can a highway key and a waterway key be
on the same way?