[Talk-ht] So far only 14 gpx tracks for Haiti available?

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 22:22:13 BST 2010

Hi there-

I'd like to add to Kate's points the fact that so far most of the mapping in
Haiti happened in Port Au Prince, Leogane, and Jacmel, all areas which are
well covered by a high quality imagery (GeoEye, Digital Globe, World Bank)
and mapped remotely in a thorough manner. To respect the quality of this
work, most of the Haitian mappers contributed thematic edits using their
5-10 meters accuracy GPX tracks as a guiding materials without touching a
better quality imagery.
As OSM Haiti will grow from those bases into less mapped and less well
imagery furnished areas, GPX tracks will come more in the picture Jacmel,
Leogane and Gonaives are promising.
We will reach out our trainees to make sure that a systematic upload of
their GPX tracks with the bandwidth limits pointed out by Kate.

Nicolas-

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com> wrote:

> Make the Internet in Haiti less terrible?
>
> So uploading GPX traces has not been part of our training.  We can add
> that, but bandwidth is a problem especially in places outside of
> Port-au-Prince.
>
> There are groups of people on the ground surveying and editing, so I'm
> not sure if we need to the traces to edit from afar.
>
> -Kate
>
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Frieder Ferlemann
> <frieder.ferlemann at web.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 2010-02-15 10:10, Frieder Ferlemann wrote:
> >>
> >> seems like only 14 gpx tracks for Haiti are available at:
> >> http://www.openstreetmap.org/traces/tag/Haiti
> >> (and http://www.openstreetmap.org/traces/tag/haiti)
> >>
> >> And 12 of the 14 tracks were uploaded by a single user!
> >
> > An update to this February posting.
> >
> > Almost half a year later only 30 tracks for Haiti
> > (uploaded by six users, a big THANKS to uploaders!)
> > seem to be available.
> >
> > And only two of these tracks are outside of the
> > area of Port-au-Prince.
> >

> > How can this be improved?
> >

> > Greetings,
> > Frieder