[Talk-ht] pdf maps of Haiti?

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Tue Aug 16 18:05:23 BST 2011

Hi all,

For the sake of sharing valuable information here's a link to the best
topographic maps of Haiti that I've seen. I think I found the link
originally(?) from some OSM Haiti wiki page (which needs a total make-over
sooner than later but that's another story).

The link is http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/haiti/haiti_index.html for
which I created a shorturl:
http://j.mp/*haiti-topomaps*<http://j.mp/haiti-topomaps>

There are 84 PDFs maps available through the link, which total 655MB in
size. I have downloaded all of these maps to my computer and made them more
easily accessible by adding the 5 digit identifier originally at the end of
the file name to the beginning of the filename, which makes them easy to
find (as you can see the id number from the linked page for a given area).
In case someone wants a local copy for him-/herself I have put the files in
my Dropbox and am happy to share the folder w/ anyone who sends me a request
w/ their Dropbox email address.

Also, in case someone is interested in stiching all the maps together that
is something that Seb and I have talked about and are happy to get help from
anyone. (I already have access to image extracts of the PDFs that are
cropped to show the map area only. ... We are thinking of creating a WMS
layer of these maps -- there's a ton of data that hasn't yet been added to
OSM from these.)

Cheers,
-Jaakko
--