[Talk-ht] [HOT] Hi-Res GeoTiff or other raster map for Haiti

Pierre Béland infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr
Tue Dec 6 22:13:32 GMT 2011

Olivia

I am proposing you an opendata solution for your GPS. The Haiti page at Geofabrik contains up to date openstreetmap data, including a Garmin map to be imported directly into Garmin GPS units. It might be  what your looking for. see http://labs.geofabrik.de/haiti/

I dont know what type of GPS you will have, but here a solution that work with my Garmin GPS Vista HCX. It works normally with GPS that have an SD Cards that permite to load higher volume of data.

We import archive latest.garmin-gmapsupp.zip, decompress and copy the file gmapsupp.img into Garmin subdirectory of the GPS unit.

Depending on the size of the gmasupp.img file, you might need an SD card greater then 2 Gb.  My GPS accepts an SD card of 8Gb.
From there, you just open your GPS and everything ready.

regards

Pierre Béland

Olivia Stinson  2011-12-06  16:21:32
Maybe you can help me with a suggestion. We need to go driving around rural Haiti actually to map a bunch of stuff we are going to be putting onto OSM eventually. BUT we really don't have a way to navigate as yet. We are getting new GPS units tomorrow, a kind that Severin suggested we get... but I have not seen them yet so don't know about using them for this. Our other little GPS was too simple to load maps.

What would you suggest for navigating? Stitching together and printing out GoogleEarth files so we can see where we are? There seem to be a few roads on there..