[Talk-ht] [HOT] Hi-Res GeoTiff or other raster map for Haiti

Frieder Ferlemann frieder.ferlemann at web.de
Wed Dec 7 00:30:02 GMT 2011

Hi Olivia,

and first of all I apologize to react out of context to a cited email.

 > We need to go driving around rural Haiti actually to map a bunch of stuff we are going to be putting onto OSM eventually.

If you want to map then putting it onto OSM which offers a proven
infrastructure (with maps downloadable at no cost to your or
anybody else's device) is probably by far the best option.
(I don't think this is controversial. There is little
incentive for commercial companies like google you
mention later.)

 > BUT we really don't have a way to navigate as yet.

If your primary rationale is mapping then navigating is
only the 1st step. Much more important is that
you know how to and what to map and how to handle the device.

I (technology affine) have needed a few iterations to
get useful data from the device I was using. No problem
over here (because feedback cycles were less than 24h)
but a real pity if you waste a complete tour.

You should attribute at least an quarter of a day (technology affine)
to get acquainted with the device and acquire data of your local surroundings.
And at least 1/4th of a day to do the first real contribution
of this data to OSM.
Otherwise chances are very high that the mapping rationale
is not met. .

There still are less than 100 gpx traces for Haiti uploaded to openstreetmap
so your contributions would make a difference!
( http://www.openstreetmap.org/traces/tag/Haiti )

 > Stitching together and printing out GoogleEarth

Not seen them but compare to http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=18.5401&lon=-72.3503&zoom=13&layers=M

Pierre has given a good link for Haiti maps. (Which uses the same data
as the above link)

To train locally you could maybe download a map from here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/All_in_one_Garmin_Map
and have a start at mapping.

If mapping is among your first rationales then the time will
be worth spent.

Greetings,
Frieder