[Talk-ht] Using OSM in schools (education) & Haiti ICT in Education Summit: His Excellency Michel Martelly grand opening, Jeffrey Sachs to deliver Keynote | Port-au-Prince, 16-18 June, 2011

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Wed Jun 15 05:55:23 BST 2011

Hi all,

Two things:

1) Would someone happen to know of examples on using OSM in the classroom /
as part of primary or secondary education curricula anywhere in the world?
It seems that I'll be presenting some (hopefully!) practical thoughts using
open source / "2.0" tools and adopting an Open approach in shaping the
future of Haiti's education system in an upcoming Haiti ICT in Education
Summit this upcoming weekend together with a vice-dean of a local college
(ESIH) and I have planned OSM to be one of my three pet examples of how kids
could do something that would be not only interesting but even (at
best/possibly) useful outside the class room. ... I hope that there's some
reality-base in my plans/thinking!

As a background note: The thing started with my "all school kids in Haiti
should participate in mapping their neighborhood -- and there's no reason
they couldn't do that" suggestion/claim/statement.

So, now I've been / am looking for any examples from real life and highly
appreciate any/every tip.
Of what I've found the following blog points to most interesting examples
even though they are OLPC-centric. http://52north.org/GeospatialLearning/
This project presented at SOTM last year (
http://rieffel.fuse-board.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/SOTM10-Rieffel.pdf)
There are some OLPCs in Haiti (albeit a great number was lost/destroyed in
the earth quake, I've been told) so that path is possible.
I'd like to look at using Walking-Papers and other "normal" OSM
stuff/methods more, though.

Anyways: All thoughts regarding using OSM "in the classroom" or as part of
education in any other way are most welcome!

2) In case someone who is in Haiti is interested and has the possibility to
participate in the Summit please find the invitation below register at the
event website accessible via http://j.mp/haiti-ictinedusummit
Or if you know people who could be interested, please pass on the invitation
below.
.. and in case you are not well enough connected to register on Wednesday or
are connected via mobile only let me know if you'd want to attend and I'll
register you (registration doesn't seem to work with at least some mobile
browsers).

Cheers,
-Jaakko

--