[Talk-ht] incorrect health facility imports

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Sam 7 Avr 17:56:31 BST 2012

Hi Brian,

Just a little precision, since the detailed documentation of the import
process in the wiki might have become difficult to find with the
cleaning (hopefully it can still be found in a archive somewhere) : the
PAHO/WHO dataset itself contained these duplicated or very imprecise
data, as it had apparently been collected by the juxtaposition of
heterogeneous datasets. At the time, it was considered "authoritative"
(food for thought, by the way, after a conference full of considerations
about "authoritative" and "crowd-sourced" datasets). Several versions of
it were released by PAHO/WHO (Seven if I remember correctly. Then they
transferred the process to a company with some large search enGine, and
I haven't heard about it any more, but there must hopefully exist an
updated version of it, somewhere...). They were each respectively
imported with a state-of-the-art tool, and a lot of manual labor (which
included reporting several of the most obvious errors).
Then, of course, it also relied on the fundamental principle of OSM, ie
that data can be fixed and improved when you can find time to look at it
more closely, and even better when you can go check it on the ground.
As to the goal, it must have been that, well, you know, health
facilities are often considered kind of useful info to have after a
major disaster.
;-)
Happy Easter to All.
Cheers from Montpellier,