[Talk-ht] [OSM-talk] Haiti.

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Mer 16 Jan 15:45:09 GMT 2013

Hi Shawn,

Having mapped Haiti for bit over three years now and living here for nearly
two and a half, working with different geo/mapping projects I very much
agree that -- and have been thinking a lot about -- figuring out how to
highlight the good things that are happening here.

There are some initiatives/services that work in this field but I'll leave
a commentary of the "scene" to a separate message as I'd want to get the
bigger picture (as I see it) articulated sufficiently well.

Coincidentally I just downloaded a few days ago "all" POIs of OSM Haiti
(using XAPI of an OSM mirror). It's only a 17MB (.osm) file which I have
made available here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9dqzni0tr0o4h8g/Haiti%20POI%20Map%20v0.01.osm if
you want to take a look.
... Please note that this is a _live_ .osm file and any adjustments,
additions or deletions you do to it would be applied to the live OSM
database if you upload it (in JOSM or any other editor).

Talking of barber shops in specific: I like the idea ... and might actually
be able to get permission to add to OSM at least some chunk of geo-coded
barber shop locations around the country. .. Gotta see if that's possible.

I'd suggest that we continue this thread on talk-ht@ (unless there are
aspects that keep this relevant to talk@). Dunno how to set reply-to in
Gmail on single messages, though..

I'll get back to this on my behalf with more thoughts in a few days.

Cheers,
-Jaakko

--
jaakko at helleranta.com * Skype: jhelleranta * Mobile: +509-37-269154  *