[Talk-ht] OpenStreetMap & HOT's work in Haiti featured as Editor's Pick in Medium.com today

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Mer 26 Juin 15:13:53 UTC 2013

Hi all.
*cross-posting as this intersects OSM in general, HOT and Haiti.*

There's a nice article out today on Medium.com
<http://j.mp/medium-osmhaiti>(featured as Editor's pick) that tells a
condensed long story of OSM in
Haiti from the project's beginning in London to quake response to mapping
TapTaps (the informal bus system of the country) to HOT's work with
USAID/OTI in St. Marc and the North.

Slightly related to the article: I pieced together some map comparisons
highlightling different aspects of OSM vs. other maps in Haiti / in general
to a Hackpad (http://j.mp/mapcomparisons ).
I realized that I've had many situations where having map comparisons at my
fingertips would've been good. I'll be adding selected comparisons to this
page over time. All current one's are just live links (no static
screenshots). The comparisons are also done with the BBBike.org's modified
Geofabrik Mapcomparison tool that has a huge number of different OSM
renderings as well as more proprietary map options for comparison (+ the
possibility to compare practically(?) as many maps as you want). This
"multi-comparison" option is great!

Cheers from Haiti,
-Jaakko

--