[OSM-talk-ie] Noob question

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 16:42:47 BST 2008

2008/4/22 Paul Cunnane <paul at cunnane.net>:
> I notice there's a big chunk of the Osmarender map around Foxford/
>  Ballina marked as "sea":

Yes, I've got a thread going on the main talk list about this, and
we've identified the cause...

>  I've tried marking the relevant tiles as "mixed" in the information
>  freeway, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Anything I can do? No
>  biggie, just a bit of a nuisance.

Yeah - Don't Do That ;)

No, actually it's quite funny, setting them as mixed seems to be part
of the problem.

The cause is that, when I originally uploaded the Irish coastline
data, I used the same source most countries do, a US government data
file. This held that the river Moy down to where it enters that lake
south of Lough Conn, the lake and the whole of Lough Conn are "sea"
and the coastline took that long detour.

About 2 weeks ago I rectified matters, stopped the coastline where the
estuary narrows in around Ballina and retagged the rest as water and
river bank.

The problem now is that the tiles database needs to catch up with
reality. The ideal setting for these tiles is 'land', since neither
lake nor river is sea. I'm working on having it resolved, so give it a
little time and it should solve itself. Also, the islands on Lough
Conn are currently untagged, as I removed them from the lake relation
as a test before we knew the true cause. I'll take care of them once
we see the lake appear correctly again.

>  Also, edits I've made aren't showing up at that zoom level - I've drawn
>  the N59 as far as Crossmolina, as can be seen if you zoom in.

It always takes a bit longer for lower zoom levels to render on
osmarender. Sometimes it needs to be kicked, but there's little point
doing that until we plug the leak in the lakes. When Mapnik
regenerates on Wednesday it should show up the roads at all zoom
levels.

Cheers,
Dermot

--