[OSM-talk-ie] Practicalities and philosophies

Paul Cunnane paul at cunnane.net
Thu Apr 24 21:54:48 BST 2008

Having lost the start of yesterday's mapping exercise due to a memory
wrap in my Garmin, I'm rethinking my approach. I'm planning to set up my
EeePC as my new surveying multitool. I've already got a car mount and
inverter installed in the van.

I've installed GPSdrive on it, and got it talking to the Garmin via
gpsd. I'm planning to install gpstrigger for recording voice notes also.
Next step after that is to see if I can get bluetooth working on the eee
and have both a headset (for the voice notes) and my bluetooth GPS puck
working with it.

My version of GPSdrive doesn't show OSM maps (yet), but I'll just use it
to record a track instead. It will be nice when GPSdrive fully supports
OSM, even for those occasions when you're driving past a junction and
wondering if that side road has been mapped yet...

Driving around today with Her Indoors, I was nattering on about
surveying for OSM. She wondered out loud why I'd bother doing it - which
forced me to articulate exactly what it is that prompts me to do it.

I must have done a fairly decent job, because when I was finished she
described it as a "noble" thing to do. I'm pretty sure she was being
sincere. ;)

--
Paul