[OSM-talk-ie] Practicalities and philosophies

Paul Cunnane paul at cunnane.net
Thu Apr 24 23:12:19 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 22:08 +0100, Dermot McNally wrote:

> Not to knock what sounds like a nifty (and fun) setup - and I'm
> guessing you must have used bits you already had to hand - but rather
> than lash out cash on all that lot, a newer Garmin with a bit MicroSD
> card is another way of defeating that problem.

I've already got everything but a bluetooth dongle, which I need to get
anyway, and which will cost a fiver or so.

> Is your Garmin mounted in such a way that you can see the display?

Mostly it's just lying on the dash. :) It's never had detailed enough
maps to use for satnav, so I've mostly used it to mark waypoints for
future reference. Hasn't been worthwhile getting a car mount for it.

> If so (and if it will accept maps) you could upload the OSM data onto it
> and use it for checking the current map state (something I find really
> useful). You can even do this on a Nüvi, which will give you an even
> better picture.

It's a GPSmap 76c. I don't think I can upload maps, but I'll do some
more digging.

> Speaking of pictures, you should post a photo of your
> setup, it sounds interesting.

Wilco, once it's set up properly.

> It's becoming easier to explain the motivation in these days of
> rampant satnav ownership by the general public. the equation
> describing this is as follows:
>
> u = p + t
>
> where:
>
> u is the date on which the person concerned first understands the
> point of OSM data gathering
> p is the date on which he purchased his device
> t is the time elapsed since p and the release of the first map upgrade
> which he may not avail of for free.

:)

--
Paul