[OSM-talk-ie] Practicalities and philosophies

Paul Cunnane paul at cunnane.net
Fri Apr 25 14:22:57 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 23:31 +0100, Dermot McNally wrote:

> You're in luck. You certainly can upload the maps. This is the info
> you're after, just download the gig of data on this guy's site and
> follow the directions
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/User:Computerteddy
>
> He gives details on how to do it using Mapsource or also other UNIXy
> tools. Note that when you download the .tar.gz file he provides, some
> browers will want to save it with a .gz extension, which makes for an
> interesting time trying to unpack it into anything useful.
>
> I've got a full set of OSM maps on my Garmin Vista and I'm well pleased with it.

I'm upgrading my laptop to Ubuntu 8.04 at the moment - I had planned to
do so anyway, but qlandkarte isn't in any earlier distros, so that's the
nudge I needed! Hopefully it'll work with the Garmin. I see a number of
GPSmap76C<something> versions listed, but not my plain old 76C.

Meanwhile, I downloaded all of Ireland in .osm format (110M) and
converted it to .img format (3.4M), and it looks good in qlandkarte.

I'll report back later on whether I've succeeded in getting it
downloaded to the Garmin.

--
Paul