[OSM-talk-ie] Practicalities and philosophies

James Coleman jamesc at dspsrv.com
Sat Apr 26 21:01:36 BST 2008

Paul Cunnane wrote:
> It gets worse :(
>
> The laptop that I just upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 was the PC I was using to
> copy tracks from the Garmin, because it recognised the Garmin as a USB-
> to-serial converter, so I could do things like gpsbabel -f /dev/ttyUSB0
> and read the tracks directly from the serial port.

This might not work at all but worth a go. Try:

   gpsbabel -f usb:

I'm not sure how drivers/kernel are mapping the devices, it was new to me with ubuntu.
It works for usb palm devices I have.

For usb cameras ubuntu is all clever and detects and mounts device as disk.
if you `ls -alstr /dev`  (look at latest mod time of files in /dev, latest last) while your
device is active on usb you probably see the real device. e.g. /dev/usbdev4.2xxxx 4 of these for
example for a digital camera and one for a palm (and /dev/sdc* created for camera mounts).

James.