[OSM-talk-ie] Getting junctions right

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 23:20:31 BST 2008

2008/4/30 Andrew McCarthy <me at andrewmccarthy.ie>:

>  If two roads of different class cross at roundabouts, I'll mark it as
>  the higher class, and higher-class's ref. If one road "passes through",
>  and the other terminates at the roundabout, I always tag it (regardless
>  of class) as the through-road. If two roads of the same class cross, I
>  guess the only option for now is not add a ref at all.  Some have
>  suggested separating multiple values with semicolons (e.g.
>  ref=R323;R329), but I'm not sure that has any useful support from the
>  database (although it is potentially useful data).

Semicolon separation is evil - it just makes it harder for anyone to
do something useful with what they will assume to be the single value.
I did say that this area was the basis for a debate, but it's worth
pushing down on it a bit. I don't tag roundabouts with refs partly
because there's no single correct answer but mostly because I can't
think of any useful purpose for the data. So why bother?

>  With regards to the roundabouts and rendering, Osmarender shouldn't be
>  displaying refs on ways tagged "junction=<anything>" if I'm
>  understanding the XSL correctly. Have you a counterexample? If so, it's
>  definitely a bug.

Mapnik does display the ref on roundabouts. I don't know if it always
did, maybe it's a recent problem. In fact, there's even a chance that
the cases I saw hadn't been properly tagged junction=roundabout.
Hmmmm...

Dermot