[OSM-talk-ie] Idea for another mapping weekend

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 15:43:47 GMT 2008

On 18/01/2008, Robert Fitzsimons <robfitz at 273k.net> wrote:

> I think the Dublin mapping weekend last November went well, even though
> some of the areas that were survey didn't make it onto the map.  The
> interest that was sparked in some people has produced some great
> results, like the work done by brainh around Stillogan.

I agree. I'd estimate that even more has gone onto the map after the
weekend from the newer mappers than resulted directly from the weekend
itself.

> So my idea is to pick a city or large town outside Dublin to target for
> the mapping weekend.  For example I was going to suggest Galway, if you
> look at the comparison [1] between between OSM and Google you can see
> that the we basically have nothing for Galway.

I agree with much of your reasoning for targetting Galway, but I
wonder if we can get it mapped in a weekend with the manpower
available. I'd propose that we should concentrate on a core,
manageable central area plus main arteries to hinterland.

Dermot