[OSM-talk-ie] Tagging questions

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 23:10:03 BST 2008

2008/6/6 Paul Cunnane <paul at cunnane.net>:
> I notice a number of tertiary-class roads around here are starting to be labeled with their "L" number on signposts. Is it worth putting corresponding "ref" tags on OSM?

Most definitely.

> Also, a question about level crossings - I've been using shared nodes to indicate that they are a feature of both the road and the railway where they occur. Is this best practice? I only do so when I'm fairly confident of the location, such as when I've marked them with a waypoint.

Yes, this is the correct approach. You should see that these are
rendered on at least one of the map layers as one of those x-shaped
red and white crossing signs the Americans use.

> Finally, any best-practice ideas for deciding whether a road is "tertiary" or "unclassified"? I've tended to mark a road as "tertiary" if it's of any value for getting around, reserving "unclassified" for the type of road where cars need to inch past each other, or reverse for delivery vans.

This is an area where opinion and practice varies quite a bit, but my
rule of thumb is quite close to yours and is noted on the Ireland
project page. Basically a road is tertiary if it:

* Isn't Motorway, National or Regional
* Is a plausible route for getting somewhere that isn't actually local
to the road itself.
* Is of at least moderate "quality" (this is really subjective, since
Scottish single-track roads may be important enough for routing to be
tertiary. In fact, some may even be primary.). Basically, this is the
"no boreen" clause.

Merely having a known L-number shouldn't automatically qualify a road
for tertiary status, since all roads lacking higher classifications
have local numbers and over time, all will probably be signed too.

Dermot