[OSM-talk-ie] Completeness/usefulness

Paul Cunnane paul at cunnane.net
Tue Jun 17 11:24:18 BST 2008

I've posted before on the topic of completeness, and I think we're all
agreed that an important milestone will be the completion of the N-road
network, followed by the R network. This will give the basis for fairly
useful navigation to most of the country.

The question becomes, what degree of completeness is required to truly
enhance the usability value of the Map? When I posted before I had
talked about quartering off geographical areas and mapping them to
completion. Realistically, though, the sheer density of the road network
in this country means a line has to be drawn somewhere - not every
boreen is needed to make the map useful.

I've decided to pick a personal benchmark for completeness, for now: I
have an AA road atlas that shows all roads down to what we might
describe as the "tertiary" classification, and I'm aiming to get Mayo
mapped to that level of detail.

This weekend I achieved that in the area bounded by the N59 between
Westport and Leenane to the east, and the coastline to the west. Over
the coming weeks I hope to pick segments and continue mapping to the
same level of detail, with the ultimate goal of being able to describe
Mayo as "completely" mapped - at least according to this arbitrary
benchmark.

The price of fuel is starting to bite, though: the weekend's mapping
exercise took 311km of driving.  :(

--
Paul