[OSM-talk-ie] Calling all Border mappers

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Wed May 7 20:53:28 BST 2008

Folks,

As there are ever more of us, I'll put the call out in case there are
mappers in proximity to the border. I've put a section of the Ireland
wiki page together dealing with efforts (mine, to date) to map the
border:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WikiProject_Ireland#The_Border

The background is that although a representation of the border is in
place, it's very inaccurate and this has disconcerting consequences
when roads get added - refs and classifications that should change at
the actual border can end up changing a few km away. I'd be grateful
for any cleanup people can do. I'm also more than happy to accept
waypoints from anyone who doesn't like the idea of doing it
him/herself.

The list of crossing points isn't complete - it's a mixture of places
I've surveyed, places I've been able to make a good stab at
positioning the border, places with roads but no reliable border
waypoint and unmapped places that I happen to know.

Rule of thumb - if you cross the border, set a waypoint where the
speed limit changes.

Thanks,
Dermot