[OSM-talk-ie] L-roads terrible signing or the lack thereof.

robin grindrod robingrindrod at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 22:05:44 GMT 2008

Hi,
I have no idea where to find out the reference numbers. You could try
contacting your local county council but I don't know whether they ill
give you this information or not as I think their information comes
from Ordnance Survey Ireland. Wikipedia says the following on L roads:

Other roads (Local Roads) are not generally referred to by number, but
are registered with a four- or five-digit "L" number, taking the form
Lxxxx. It is rare to see these numbers on signposts or Ordnance Survey
maps, although as of 2006 the Department of the Environment, Heritage
and Local Government have begun a programme of new signage for
regional roads that will incorporate local road numbers on directional
signage.

I think these roads should marked as tertiary even if you don't know
the reference number. If you do find a source for these reference
numbers please tell us.

Good luck and happy mapping,
Ballysallagh1.