[OSM-talk-ie] L-roads terrible signing or the lack thereof.

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 23:26:32 GMT 2008

2008/11/16 Martin List-Petersen <martin at list-petersen.dk>:

> I can live with the definition that all unclassified roads are tertiary
> roads. In Ireland tertiary roads aren't more "routy", but they also can
> be single lane roads :)

No, that's not what I'm suggesting at all. What I'm saying is that all
roads are at least L-roads. What I'm also saying is that some should
be tagged as tertiary and others as unclassified, based on a judgement
call of how reasonable it would be to use that road as part of a
through route to somewhere.

> Should we add the requirement, that a tertiary road brings you from one
> place to another (so it's no dead end) ?

I don't think so. Especially where a road leads to, say, a village on
a peninsula, you'll get roads that are important enough to be tertiary
(or higher) even though they may end once they reach the village.

Dermot