[OSM-talk-ie] Tagging townlands in OSM-Ireland

Patrick Casey pcasey at compuserve.com
Wed Sep 10 15:06:42 BST 2008

I'm just starting to learn to use, and contribute to, OSM and am uploading
some tracks that I recorded in and around Tubber on the border between
Co.Clare and Co.Galway.

I see that townlands are being marked with points tagged as hamlets. This
seems to me a bit odd because a townland is an area rather than a point,
rather analogous to a lake. Also, many of the townlands in the West of
Ireland are as good as uninhabited so the term 'hamlet' would hardly apply
to them.

Wouldn't the tag 'place=locality' be a better choice from the existing tags
than 'hamlet' ? Or could Ireland-OSMers have a tag 'place=townland' within
the category 'Places' (see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features#Natural ) ? Would that
confuse the renderers, i.e. would it have to be added to some kind of
official OSM list so as to be accepted by the rendering software ?

Paddy