[OSM-talk-ie] Tagging townlands in OSM-Ireland

Patrick Casey pcasey at compuserve.com
Wed Sep 10 17:37:30 BST 2008

Hi Dermot,

Thanks for this rapid and very informative reply. All now clear.

I now understand why one or two places in 'my' area in the
Tubber-Ruan-Crusheen triangle aren't where they should be on the map (e.g.
the village of Ruan). May I take the liberty of moving them a few hundred
yards to their correct sites  or does a committee have to vet changes. I'm
new to OSM and not yet sure of the protocol and the last thing I want to do
is contravene some existing convention or practice. I'm very conscious of
the fact that in a project like this the participants need to conform to
standards to prevent anarchy. Anything else and the OSM becomes useless.

If I interpret your tenor correctly there would be no objection if I were to
"re-baptise" e.g. Coolbane as a locality. I would restrict such changes to
places that I know well and have walked over and can vouch for the fact that
they consist of a few scattered houses or farms or cabhals and not tiny
groups of habitations that one might call a hamlet. Would that be OK ?

Some of the lakes in 'my' area seem to have been very roughly drawn (or my
GPS was faulty). For example, the footpath to Dromore Castle from the car
park (which I walked with the GPS) appears to cross part of the lake. There
is a New Testament example of walking on water but I haven't yet managed to
emulate it. Is it possible that those lakes were traced from a relatively
low-resolution satellite image ? I'm talking about small errors here, e.g. a
couple of hundred yards.

I couldn't understand your statement ".....it's a bad idea to tag for the
renderer....".  Could you clarify that, please ?

Again, thanks, You are helping me to move forward.

Paddy