[OSM-talk-ie] Tagging holy wells

Patrick Casey pcasey at compuserve.com
Sat Sep 13 11:35:50 BST 2008

Thanks for this feedback, Kevin.

I'd say the wells I am tagging are definitely places of worship. People do
"the rounds" there with prayers and rosaries and invocations, and masses are
said there on specific days of the year.

I wondered whether some of the wells should be tagged as medical centres
since their waters are said to heal various diseases (no, don't worry, I'm
not serious).

Thanks for your  "...There isn't any such tag but that doesn't mean you
can't tag it as such...". I didn't realise that one can invent Values  in
tags but indeed the page http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tags
clearly states in the first sentence "OpenStreetMap does not have any
content restrictions on tags that can be assigned to Nodes, Ways or Areas.
You can use any tags you like.".  I missed that one in my impatience.

And I'll add 'amenity = grotto' where there is a grotto.

Paddy