[OSM-talk-ie] Tagging holy wells

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 16:18:35 BST 2008

Hi Paddy,

Never having created a proposal myself, I've had a look. The template
shown inline on the proposal page may make a little more sense if you
go into edit mode on an existing proposal page. It's still a bit heavy
in places, though, and even working out what to name it will require
familiarity with other pages on the OSM wiki that themselves deal with
keys, values and other elements of the OSM data structure.

I was looking to see if I could create a shell of a page for you to
work with. I've chosen not to, though, since I hit an obstacle at the
very beginning, when trying to name the page. You've gone with
"amenity=holy_well", rather than anything based on my (not considered)
religion top-level key. It may be that the very first thing that
happens once you kick off discussion on the talk mailing list is for
people to quickly decide that it belongs in a category other than
amenity - if you agree, you'll then end up rebuilding the proposal
page.

My suggestion is that you post a request for comments to the talk
list, outlining your suggestion more or less as you did here, probably
mentioning grottoes, moving statues, holy stones and anything else you
feel might help drive a usable tagging scheme. Once the idea is
validated somewhat, it would be a good time to go to the effort of
creating a proposal page.

Dermot