[OSM-talk-ie] Tagging townlands in OSM-Ireland

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 19:00:02 BST 2008

2008/9/15 Paul Cunnane <paul at cunnane.net>:

> I've uploaded that little gap (some of which was one-way). I compared

It's great to see the gap filled, but the one-way restriction is a
puzzle. Logically, you can't have a national road that can't be driven
in only one direction. It should be possible to get from the N67 to
the N68. The SI usually names a second path for the road where this
happens, but didn't in this instance. So we now have an N68 that's
spot on as per the SI, but where a route-planner couldn't navigate you
from Kilrush to Ennis without a large detour. For that reason, it's a
pity your coverage went haywire - some of your trails would probably
have helped here. FWIW, most of the GPS trails I've seen from Kilrush
have been a bit wonky, maybe it's a black spot.

> the existing Landsat trace to my GPS trace and it corresponded closely,
> so I didn't bother replacing it.

Woohoo! Go me! It's less tracing and more using the force, I'm
surprised it was that accurate.

> I had also driven some of the streets in Kilrush, but the GPS signal was
> very unstable at that time, so the trace is completely unreliable
> (although it was fine driving into the town). Ah well.

Kilrush looks like being one of those places that needs a mapping
party in order to get it properly mapped. Tralee is another one - a
lot of roads there are mapped, but hardly any are named, which makes
it hard to join up the classified roads based on the SIs. On that -
The SI for the N68 says that the stretch closest to the town is called
Vandeleur Street. Do you recall if that was the name of the one-way
stretch?

Dermot